Monday, July 20, 2015

Week 54 July 20, 2015 "Watermelon!"

     Well overall this past week was a good one. We started off the week last pday by going down to Pyeongtek to visit one of Elder Huffman's friends that just got baptized. She was super cool and spoke English way good. She was probably in her 40s and actually has American citizenship but is Korean haha. We went to this way good meat buffet down there right by the US military base and straight pounded food. With the 5 missionaries we probably ate like 3 whole watermelons and that is not even counting the meat haha. It was so weird being down there I literally felt like I was in America! So many foreigners. After living around Koreans for a year whenever I see foreigners it is like "what the? where did you come from" you know the you don't belong here kind of thing. I bought this fake Lebron jersey for 5 bucks that actually looks pretty authentic. Koreans are smart they put a bunch of fake sports merchandise stores right next to an American Army base and probably make bank haha. I will for sure go back and get a few more before I go home because some of them are pretty sweet. I can also custom make them so I might get one with my name in Korean on the back.
 
        We also started this new English Class and it is doing pretty well. The ward is continuing to help us out and come out to class so that is awesome. We have been handing out business cards for the class like crazy so that it can continue to grow with new students. We went on splits with the Elder's Quorum and that was a really good experience. We visited a LA and on the spot I came up with something to teach because we didn't think she was actually gonna be there. Turns out what I chose was just what she needed to hear. I shared a message on prayer and she shared with us her really sweet testimony on prayer and how much it helps her family. She is one of those LAs that reads her scriptures and prays everyday but yet only every now and then comes out to church. Kind of unique but I just hope we can continue to help her out. That night we were doing splits my comp lost our phone on the bus haha. Lucky a kid found it and took it to a 7-11 right by our house. Since I am in a 3 some right now we had to go to a members house to pick up Elder Huffman who was with another member. We ended up being home way late that night but were blessed with a service opportunity. At that members appartment complex there is this LA family who was moving a bunch of books from their house to their car. There was only a few people there helping so we were able to jump in and help. The member Hwang Jae Shik gave us a ride home and even bought us ice cream and a watermelon on the way home! Maybe we should be late more often? ;) haha. We didn't get home till 11...
 
          This week we are going to help a LA active member with her English Academy and help at this party thing so it should be pretty fun. We met her this week with 2 of her coworkers and they took us out to eat. We ate at a meat house and they ordered so much haha. We didn't know that we were going to eat with them so we ate before we went too... Both of her coworkers spoke English super good and were way cool. Dinner was awesome because we could speak English, crack jokes, and have a good time. I played baseball with some kids when we were out tracting and that was pretty fun. They were all super funny. For some reason Korean little kids just love to hate on each other. So while I was planning baseball with them they were just teasing each other. Like when one was batting the other was saying oh he cant bat he is terrible at baseball. You know stuff like that. I told them I was a misisonary and talked about church a bit too. Then as we were leaving we gave them all English class cards and told them to come. I had a lot of really cool missionary experiences this past week but don't have enough time to explain them all. I wil explain one though. So one day when we were out tracting we past this huge protest against our church and we just smiled trying to look as happy as possible ha. Sure enough they saw us but didn't approach us. I saw this guy kind of standing off in the distance watching the crowd and felt impressed to go up and talk to him so I did. Turns out the dude spoke pretty good English and was confused while all those people were being so mean because he said in the Bible it says we should love everyone. We then were able to talk a bit about our church and give him our name card. Hopefully he calls. He was kind of in a hurry so we only had a litlte bit of time to talk with him.
 
             One of our investigators, Bae Seong Ho, came out to church so that was awesome. The teacher of gospel principles, Kim Nam Hyeon, did a great job teaching the class so the spirit was way strong. Well I have been studying a lot recently out of the religion course books they use in college and man are they great! I have learned so much. To end I just want to share a scripture that is one of my Dad's favs and now is one of mine too! It is Isaiah 40:31 I would encourage you to all look it up and read it because it is a good one. I would paste it but the computer I am on is being lame and wont let me. It is a hard concept to grasp but the Lord honestly will renew everyone of His children with strength in their time of trial. All that He requires of us is to wait upon Him. It may be longer than we would like to wait but I promise it is worth it.
 
Love,
Elder Picard

Watermelon is its own food group in the Picard household.




No comments:

Post a Comment